There is so much talk about Alpha Males. They are the pack leaders, men you must strive to become – or so they say.
But do you always have to?
What if you don’t want to be in the spotlight?
Would it be just right if you want to stick to being Beta?
What is a Beta Male?
In product testing, Alpha refers to the product check that happens within the developer’s site. This type of testing remains there and cannot be sent out to the end-users yet.
On the other hand, Beta testing happens with the end-users taking the helm.
While a Beta male is not a product, just like an Alpha Male is not, he is as less intimidating as the namesake testing suggests.
A Beta male is someone who would rather blend in with the background rather than be in the forefront like an Alpha. He is your usual Nice Guy.
Sadly, society sometimes sees Betas as guys who are not as masculine as Alpha Males. They are perceived as weak loser nerds who will not get the girl.
Do you think you are this guy?
Well, there is no shame in that. The shame is not trying to improve on points that will help you succeed in life: with money, career, and women.
The thing is, some Alphas are Betas in disguise, who just managed to find a way to seem more authoritative. Sometimes, it is in the posturing.
Do Beta Males Even Exist?
Yes, they do.
Even though there is a popular saying that nice girls and nice guys finish last, you will still find some who do not like to climb the social hierarchy ladder.
You will find Betas everywhere, even in corporate circles. They are the ones who would be fine with being quiet in a corner.
What are the Characteristics of a Beta Male?
If you are a Beta male, you should showcase the following personality traits:
- You are content with being in the background: Betas do not get as much attention as Alphas. However, you don’t particularly mind it. You would rather be in your own comfort zone than have to talk in front of a crowd.
- You are an introvert: Your hobbies include reading, watching television, and all those that do not need you to have any company at all.
- You are more likely vulnerable and physically weak: Since most of your hobbies are not particularly physically strenuous, you are more likely not as fit as the Alphas or Sigmas. This can easily change, of course, with exercise and a healthy diet.
- You steer away from being the center of attention: Betas are not too happy about getting noticed. Yeah, perhaps they also want to get noticed, but they get too self-conscious to enjoy it.
- You communicate more on social media networks, such as Facebook than in real life: You may be more forward and chatty online. So, you may find yourself having a different kind of life through your social media.
- You are a follower: Because you usually shy away from promoting and defending your ideas, you end up following what the Alphas have already started.
- You tend to end up in the friend zone: Even when you feel like you are closed to formalizing a romantic relationship, you falter because you don’t want to be aggressive. Being nice means that the ladies are comfortable around you. However, it also means that they can get too comfortable.
Are Beta Males Rare?
The 21st century is seeing a lot of Beta Males on the rise. The thing is, they do not seem as weak as they may seem several decades ago.
Betas can certainly work hard to become more outgoing individuals. They can get fit at the gym, too, if they give themselves the chance to do so.
However, the question is: do they have to be?
If you are a Beta, you must take on the challenge of improving yourself. Nevertheless, changing yourself only to please others does not seem to be the way to go.
Yes, you like to play the rules and be obedient to authority. Perhaps you just want a quiet married life, being a great example of good behavior.
Beta males are not rare, but within the category, you can also find small subgroups. Some get along well with their peers and have no problems finding love. In fact, some women appreciate the fact that Betas make an effort to truly listen.
On the other hand, steer away from the Beta subgroup that emphasizes insecurity and resentment towards those in more popular circles.
What are some Beta Male Symbols?
In primates, the Beta is second in command. So, it does not seem like he is ostracized or neglected in the community. He gets second pickings in food and mates.
Betas also have an advantage over the exposed Alpha, who is in the lead in all things, including danger. In animal societies, they can serve as the backup.
A Beta Male is often associated with animals that display the same empathetic and docile behavior: domesticated dogs, sheep, chameleon, and the panther.
What are Zodiac Signs associated with the Beta Male?
Here are some Zodiac signs that show behavior that is strongly associated with the Beta personality:
- Pisces – Sensitive dreamers belong to this zodiac sign. Somebody else must motivate them, or else they can have a tendency to be lazy. They are not too fond of responsibility.
- Cancer – These empathetic and protective males will put their families and friends first. These individuals are, unsurprisingly, often artists, not athletes.
- Virgo – These practical individuals are more about the end result than whether they are taking the reins.
Alpha versus Other Societal Hierarchy Personalities – Which Type Are You?
If you are not that sure where you are in the social hierarchy just quite yet, you may want to go through the following. The same goes if you know you are a Beta but just want to see how you will fare against the other personalities.
Betas versus Alphas
This is the most common comparison. The Alpha Male takes the lead, while the Beta male follows. However, some Betas have somehow successfully portrayed themselves as Alphas.
Yes, they are in the lead, but they still follow the corporate world’s rules. They are still wracked with secret insecurities.
Betas versus Omegas
You may say that Betas and Omegas can get themselves bullied if they are not careful. Beta Males and Omega Males are both introverted, but Omegas do not care at all. Because of this, they should have low-stress levels.
Omegas are not that afraid to go against the grain. Here we find the laidback husbands and the nerdy colleagues. They are not as scared to be made fun of.
Betas versus Deltas
Unlike the Betas and Omegas, the Deltas want to be Alphas as they are used to be recognized as high-ranking males. In fact, a Delta Male may have been an Alpha once upon a time. For some reason, he has found himself fallen from favor.
So, while a Beta male may still find himself walking with the pack and Omega, comically, does not care, a Delta is too bitter about sticking around and also immersed in his loneliness to get back out there.
Betas versus Gammas
Betas are second in command to Alphas. So, you will find them still part of the mix. Though not the leader, a Beta even knows what is up with the community or pack.
On the other hand, Gamma Males seem to have gained a reputation for being irresponsible and flighty. This is not always true. Gammas just do not adhere to social ranking. A Gamma is in his own fun world.
Betas versus Sigmas
Sigmas are just like Alphas but without the pack. His behavior may seem similar, as well: confident, manly, and attractive. However, Sigma Males do not need the approval of the community. They go on their own way.
Betas may learn a lot from a Sigma in terms of confidence that does not require being accepted by peers. This way, they can continue living away from the usual expectations and be self-sufficient.
How are Betas in Love?
Surprisingly, betas are great at romance. Women prefer them because they do not like to have to live with Alphas’ arrogance and coldness. They would rather want someone who has the sensitivity to listen.
Betas are some of the best boyfriends out there. Sometimes, the female gaze will be tempted by an Alpha’s attractiveness, but they realize that being with a Beta is more than just being there for the moment. It can last.
Betas are the best fathers, the nicest guys, and the most respectful, to sum it up. Just because they are silent does not mean they are not confident.
How are Betas as Friends?
Because Betas are not full of themselves, they are willing to lend you a listening ear.
This makes them good friends to both women and other men.
How are Betas in their Careers?
Betas are not your usual pick for CEOs. However, you will find that a growing number of Betas are leading small businesses.
You may wonder how they are becoming more successful. Betas are not as vocally strong and forceful. However, they do have a better sense of democracy when leading their group.
Betas are also not afraid to be vulnerable. Their display of human emotions makes them more appealing to their peers. They have strong empathy that allows them to tune in to what people are feeling.
In the more traditional sense, you will find several Betas working a living through writing. They are quiet, efficient, and detailed, making them effective researchers. They respect their peers and other community members.
What motivates a Beta?
Quiet Beta makes a lot of observations. So, he likes working with things that he can see, smell, taste, hear, or feel. He would be a great scientist because he is more in touch with things going around him than he cares about his own appearances or social rank.
A Beta is also propelled by the need to do some problem-solving.
Who are Some Famous Beta Males?
You may suspect that there are no Betas in Hollywood or the corporate world, but that is not true. Here are some famous Betas:
- Kumail Nanjiani – Kumail Nanjiani may be attractive and fit, but the comedian is a self-declared Beta. In fact, one of his finest Comedy Central special hours is all about being one. Even if he is not against any sort of training to better himself physically, he knows the benefit of being adorkable.
- James Franco – While this handsome actor may seem like an Alpha because of his looks and charm, he does not take himself seriously.
- John Cusack – and perhaps other guys who are known for their rom-com flicks are Betas. They are not likely to get the girl. They do not have the muscles, but they are empathetic and learn how to listen.
- Mark Zuckerberg – Zuckerberg is proof that the smart and introverted male is gaining some popularity. The nice geeks will inherit the earth!
TV characters that are BETA are the Flash, Peter Parker, Supernatural’s Castiel, among others. In most circumstances, we would notice the Alphas first. If we lean in more, though, we will realize that Betas may just be the better option.
You may even consider the whole The Office class, in and out of their characters.
Final Say So!!
In a world where men scramble to become Alphas by going to the gym or being all-around aggressive, Betas are starting to shine through.
People are now concluding that it is better to work or be in a relationship with someone who is not arrogant and full of himself.
A Beta may be quiet, but he is not necessarily insecure.
He does not want unnecessary drama and wants to work consistently towards his goals – with no added distraction.
Leave a Reply