Have you ever wanted a position of leadership? Are you in one?
Does it feel like you are right at home, or do you need a little boost?
Why does it seem that some men feel at home in the role?
Are they what is referred to as Alphas?
I know you are looking for answers to those questions and more. Well, I am going to do the same for you in this article. So let’s get started-
What is an Alpha Male?
You may be wondering what is an Alpha Male exactly?
The Alpha is the leader of the pack if you must use wolf-speak. He is the one who leads the rest of the wolves, asserting his dominance over the rest.
Even in a crowd, he manages to stand out literally and figuratively. This is supported by his height, presence, charm, and look of efficiency.
In short, his whole carriage and manner exhibit high self-esteem.
Do Alpha Males Even Exist?
Several business books promote the need to become an Alpha Male. But are men being led on a wild goose chase?
For instance, scientists, such as Frans de Waal, Ph.D., feel like the Alpha Male is not being defined accurately.
Having been responsible for the term, de Waal wants to correct the definition. He does not believe that it is fair to portray the Alpha Male as an arrogant guy who wants to hog the spotlight.
For de Waal, an Alpha Male is someone who takes charge of his group without putting anyone down. He has seen this behavior in chimps.
The Real Alpha is someone who has concern for the greater group. He will fight for the whole group.
You can say that Alpha Males do exist.
You will find that about 70% of senior executives belong to this group if you go by the popular definition. Thankfully, the de Waals type of Alpha still exists.
What are the Characteristics of an Alpha Male?
Generally, though, you can still find the following characteristics in a guy who is described as an Alpha:
- Obviously, a handsome man will stand out in a crowd. This is why lead singers are often handsome and not just have vocal power.
- Rugged good looks are a plus because they signal dominance and aggressiveness. These looks are the result of high testosterone levels, which add to their appeal to women. These T-levels are also linked to reproductive success.
- Some may not be traditionally handsome but possess a charm that lights up their faces to make them more attractive.
- Another way for an Alpha to stand out is through his height. It is an apparently effective way to attract mates.
- Height also showcases dominance. Taller men often receive higher salaries than shorter men. Interestingly, though, shorter men may seem taller when they are in a position of power.
- A straight posture supports height. Alphas know how to carry themselves, to display their self-confidence and good health. Some are known for their physical prowess.
- Another sign of powerful masculinity is a deep voice. It seems to solidify the Alpha’s assertiveness.
- Named after the leader of a pack of wolves, the Alpha should be known for his courage. He is willing to go above and beyond for his pack.
- His courage is not just about being able to fight. Some Alphas are just happy about being able to defend their beliefs.
- As a leader, he makes the decision for the good of the group. He will protect his pack’s rights at all costs.
Are Alpha Males Rare?
Among humans, are alpha males becoming rare?
Well, the answer is “yes” and “no.”
No, alpha males are still all over the place. These are the guys that run companies.
They are a hit with the ladies and are dominant over their colleagues.
They are more likely to earn more money than other individuals.
Yes, alpha males are becoming rare. The true ones seem to be losing out to the more aggressive stereotype versions of this social hierarchy type.
The True Alpha is someone who takes care of his own. He knows how to share.
What are some Alpha Male Symbols?
Symbols that signify power are often used for Alphas. The wolf pack leader is the most commonly associated symbol.
Of course, you can also use the masculine symbol as society seems to think that someone has to be an Alpha to be fully male.
What are Zodiac Signs Strongly Associated with Alpha Maleness?
Because Alpha maleness is all about taking charge, we should take a look at zodiac signs that show this particular trait:
- Capricorns can feel a little cold. However, this only means that they are focused on achieving their set goals. If they do fail, they quickly get back on their feet.
- Aries men are fiery, brave, and determined. Isn’t that what you expect to see in an Alpha?
- Leos are individuals that have been primed from the beginning. They are born leaders. There is nothing wrong with seeing a combination of lion and wolf in one authoritative figure.
Alpha versus Other Societal Hierarchy Personalities – Which Type Are You?
Alpha versus Beta
The difference between Alpha and Beta is not so much about skill but all about dominance. When an Alpha knows something, he will apply it. Beta Males, on the other hand, are more content to stay on the sidelines.
Between the two types, though, the Beta Males are more of the husband type. The Alpha is more appealing and significantly sexier, but he can be a master of intimidation.
So if you are a woman trying to find out about Alphas, you may soon realize that you are better off getting to know Beta Males. Well, unless you are an Alpha Female who can take on the challenge.
Alpha versus Gamma
Alphas and Gammas are polar opposites. While Alphas are not necessarily arrogant, they are not afraid to go for what they want. Their Gamma colleagues, on the other hand, are introverted and would happily stay in the background.
Alpha versus Omega
Alphas generally thrive through their charisma and dominance. Omegas, on the other hand, have a prime advantage: they are self-sufficient and skilled.
While an Alpha will lose his title if the group leaves, Omegas do not need the group but do not mind working with them.
Alpha versus Delta
Both the Alphas and the Deltas would like to get some attention. The problem is that Deltas do not get it easily no matter how hard they try, while it is easy for Alphas to command that attention.
An Alpha Male and a Delta Male are both hardworking and driven, for sure. The extra humility Delta carries can be a notch against him.
Alpha versus Sigma
You can say that the Sigma is that one true threat to the Alpha. Sigmas can be ridiculously attractive. The fact that they do not chase after leadership can appeal to others.
A Sigma Male is self-sufficient and can thrive even without a group, but he can be manipulative enough to get into the power structure.
How are Alphas in Friendships?
Alphas do make friends. However, they do not mind being alone. They are always working, so it may be harder for them to find friends.
Because Alphas do not like to waste time on fake friendships, they would instead pursue career-driven tasks.
When they do make friends, they are accepting of other Alphas’ views. Those who cannot listen to other people’s suggestions are prone to being dictators.
Do Alphas Truly Fall in Love?
Alphas are humans, too. They do fall in love. However, most of the time, they are more likely not to show much emotion.
When they do fall in love, they are likely to be protective. They exhibit this by providing hugs and acting almost like a human shield.
How are Alphas in their Careers?
Alphas are driven in their careers. Their behavior is primed to achieve the most goals, earn the most money, and win all the arguments.
Their control over their emotion makes them great at whatever they do for a living.
They feel at home in business circles, politics, and other careers that emphasize the winners. These are jobs where they can employ their assertiveness.
What motivates an Alpha?
An Alpha can be motivated in three main ways:
1) He can be self-motivated. He has enough self-esteem to make this possible. He coaches himself to get out there.
2) He can be motivated by the fear of being just like everybody else. So, he will target something above what his competitors can do.
3) He can be motivated by winning and perhaps by the difficulty of the challenge at hand. He likes to take a situation and turn it around to his advantage.
How do you become an Alpha Male?
Before this question can be answered, it is even possible for humans to change their social hierarchy category?
Yes, it is possible. Even if you take in Wolf Packs and Chimpanzee Politics, the hierarchy can be moved.
Do you need some training to become an Alpha Male?
Yes, you do.
This is especially true if your behavior tends to flow like that of Beta Males. Something must have prompted you to leave your shell and get out there.
Do you need some training to become an Alpha Male?
Well, yes, you do.
But do you need coaches to help you achieve your goals?
Well, not necessarily. Here is what you need to do.
1) You are the product of your mindset. So, you must change how you see yourself. Get that confidence boost.
2) Get into a physical training fit for athletes. A strong and healthy body will begin your Alpha journey. Boxing is a good Alpha-type exercise.
3) Take dietary supplements.’ Get checked by a health professional if you must.
4) Focus on what you need to do for your career growth. Find your motivations.
5) Make yourself look and feel good. Grooming is an important factor in appearance.
6) Be more aware and more vocal about your opinions. Yes, you can remain collaborative and helpful, but stand up for what you believe in.
7) Earn the education required to reach the level of senior executives.
8) Bounce ideas with the entire team.
9) Give yourself a 360-degree assessment to find your weaknesses and your quintessential strengths.
10) Acknowledge that you are planning to go up the levels of responsibility. Being Alpha is not just about being a leader by name. Accountability should not be discarded.
However, no matter how much you want to display Alpha traits, you should never forget that natural leaders do not have to throw a temper tantrum.
If you feel like you need extra help, you may consider executive coaching. Changing roles can be tough, but sometimes it is necessary.
You must reward yourself with being the best that you can be.
Who are Some Famous Alpha Males?
If you ever needed anyone to model yourself up to, you may want to take a look at this list of famous Alpha Males:
1) Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson: Physically fit and genuinely likable, The Rock is an easy pick.
2) Jason Momoa: Of Game of Thrones and Aquaman fame, he has always been fit even from the time he was discovered to model as a teenager.
3) Peter Dinklage: He may not fit the height requirement, but his voice and speaking manner make him bigger than some men. Dinklage always seems like he is going to say words of wisdom.
4) Donald Trump: Yes, he is not exactly popular right now, but his name always pops when Alpha maleness is discussed. Some may argue that his Alpha traits tend to lean towards the misogynistic and everything-for-himself territory.
The Final Say So!!
Alpha Males still exist. Whether they follow de Waals’ view of what an Alpha should be or not, an Alpha Male is always described as a leader.
So if you want to be identified as a True Alpha, make sure that you take the responsibility by heart. Being a leader carries a lot of responsibility. Show it without bullying others.
Being Tall is NOT a characteristic of an alpha male…. smh