With our need for love, connection, and relationship ever-present, we can expect that any innovation and technology will enhance our chances of having those things. Dating sites are already as old as the internet and have taken advantage of all the positive changes in the ever-changing world.
Match.com is the oldest dating site in the world, spending nearly three decades matching people all over the globe. It has countless success stories and continues to be one of the most sought-after online dating platforms, especially during the pandemic.
But does longevity equal performance? And with the advent of other social media platforms that can connect people, and so many dating apps and sites offering many possibilities, is it still ok to have Match.com?
Could it be possible that Match is already outdated in the present time? This Match.com review will look deeper at the possibilities the dating app offers singles.
Key Info About the Match.com Website
- Established in 1995, Match is considered the oldest dating site on the internet.
- The dating site is for people looking for serious, long-term relationships, love, and marriage.
- The dating service has an available mobile app.
- You can do instant messaging and browse the profiles of members.
- It has an excellent track record of nearly thirty years.
- It has features that measure the compatibility of users with each other.
- It has free and paid memberships available.
- It has excellent features that enhance the online dating and chatting experience.
Total Members:There are an estimated 20 million members of Match.com worldwide, with 8 million of them have paid subscriptions. The estimated number of members in the United States alone is nearly half a million.
Gender Proportion:60 percent of members are male, and 40 percent are female.
Members Activity:Nearly 300,000 users visit the site or use the mobile app daily.
Age Range and Distribution:The age bracket of members on the Match.com website consists of the following:
18-24: 15 percent
25-34: 20 percent
35-49: 30 percent
50 and above: 35 percent
How Does the Match Website Work?
The old site is not outdated; the reverse is equally true: it has excellent, user-friendly features that allow members to navigate the site easily. The features also enhance the online chatting and dating experience.
It has easy-to-use search features and provides compatibility matches, suggesting people that match your preferences. The search options include Match picks, where the site recommends profiles based on recent activity, location, and distance.
You can also search for profiles based on their being new members to the site or those members uploading so many features.
It also has a reverse match feature, allowing you to know people who are looking for the same preferences that you have. You can view people who liked your profile, and others can do the same; you can easily connect with people who are interested in you.
Sending messages is only for those paying members, but you can send likes for free. Using and participating in the chatroom is another extensive feature for those having premium membership, aside from sending messages and advanced search features.
There are some things you need to remember before signing up at Match.com; among these are the following:
- There are only minimal features for free members.
- Though you can flirt and have some flings, most on this site are here for love and marriage.
- As such, there are few chances of casual hookups or erotic adventures on this site; it is possible, but that is not the site’s major attraction.
- Matching is the main attraction of this dating website and mobile app, do not expect entertainment of any kind at Match.com.
- You can easily click and chat with anyone, but meet-ups are another matter. Since there are millions of members worldwide, you can match with one from your locality or thousands of miles away, so many relationships are possible.
Registration is easy, and they have features that make for easier profile creation. You must fill in some details, birthday, age, location, country, email address, gender, sexual preference, and other personal circumstances.
Then you will have a username and password; after checking their availability, they will move you to the online builder to fill in some information about your physical appearance and personality. Once done, you need to upload photos.
All of those steps enhance your profile further, which is important for the site algorithm in finding potential matches. After you have completed everything, you can log in instantly, with no email verification needed.
Upsides and Downsides of the Match Website
- It is the oldest dating site in existence, with many success stories.
- It has a mobile app.
- It is very easy to use.
- It has excellent search options and features.
- It has so many members.
- It has excellent matching suggestions.
- You can have a free six-month premium subscription if you do not find a match during your premium membership.
- Sending your profile Match account to their affiliated sites is another available feature.
- Video chat is an excellent feature.
- Canceling a subscription can be tricky.
- Very low activity from female Match users.
- There are many fake accounts and profiles, and there are many bots.
- It is pretty difficult to ask for a refund.
- Very minimal features for those having a free subscription.
- No free sending of messages.
Who is Match.com For and Not For?
Match Website or App is Best For You If You Are:
Match Website and App May Not Be the Best For You If You Are:
How to Connect to Users on the Match Website
One thing working for the site is its excellent search features, which you can have even if you are on a free subscription. You can also send likes to other profiles, indicating your interest or that you like them.
Sending messages is quick and easy, but this feature is only available if you have a paid subscription. Thus, deep engagement is not possible unless you pay.
But premium membership entails significant advantages for further contacts and extensive use of website or app features for deeper engagement. MatchPhone, for instance, allows you to connect with other profiles and talk to each other using the number provided by Match.
A feature such as discover allows you to appear first on the site’s suggested profiles, increasing your chances of having a date. Video Date will enable you to have a video chat with a member you are already conversing with.
Overall, this dating app has various ways of making you connect with other users. The catch, of course, is you have to pay, but if you want, you can browse the site first and look for possible prospects before becoming a premium member.
Free membership is available, but if you want to avail of paid Match subscription, you have various options.
The Standard subscription is the more affordable option; you can have it at $103.35 for a three-month membership, $146.88 for six months, and $262.08 for a year. For premium membership, you can have it at $121.23 for three months, $1259.06 for six months, and $277.32 for a year.
Match.com also offers other add-ons that you can pay monthly, like Reply for free and a message read alert, while MatchPhone can be availed as a separate feature. You can also boost your profile and avail of credits, with prices ranging from less than five dollars to up to thirty dollars.
- Sending likes
- Using the search option
- Viewing profiles
- Limited participation in games and in having matches.
- Sending messages
- Knowing who viewed your profile
- Receiving notifications
- Use of advanced search options
- Use of features such as MatchPhone and Video Date
- Having a spot in daily matches
- Browsing incognito
Overall Users’ Feedback
With so many members, a Match user can receive up to 100 profile suggestions daily, quite a lot, but many complain about the quality of the members, with some suggesting that most of them are bots or fake accounts. Others do have tales about them chatting with those fake profiles and bots.
For those who found their ideal Match, however, they found the features more than satisfying. With instant messaging, calls, and video chat available, one can have a better online dating experience.
And some eventually met their Match, a fairy tale ending. But fairy tales do not often happen; even with great technological innovations, you have to be discerning.
And with an abundance of fake accounts, the usual complaint among most users, you need to be picky, which will not hurt. If you can be choosy in your relationships with people you meet in person, the more you need to be selective with people you are chatting with in a dating app.
Frequently Asked Questions
What are the Other Sister Sites of Match.com?
Match.com belongs to the Match Group Inc, which includes Tinder, OkCupid, Hinge, and PlentyOfFish, among others.
Where Can I Get the Match.com Mobile App?
You can get the Match mobile app at the Google play store or Apple App Store.
What is the Average Age of a Match.com Member?
The Average age of Match users is 36 years to 45 years of age.
It has so many users, but if you prefer one that is limited to your locality for better chances of hooking up, you better settle with its better-known sister, Tinder. Tinder has most of the features available on Match.com.
And if you want to pay for a dating app and are willing to have a quick hookup with no strings attached, you can try the Pure App. Aside from a high success rate, part of the deal is that you remain anonymous, which is better if you want to meet and stay discreet.
- It has a mobile app.
- It has user-friendly features.
- It has so many members.
- It has excellent features like instant messaging, calls, and video chat.
- It has excellent advanced search options.
- It has excellent matching suggestions.
- Fake accounts and bots abound
- Inactivity of a large number of users.
- Minimal features for those who have a free subscription.
- Difficulty in asking for a refund and very pretty tricky when you cancel your subscription
Being the oldest online dating site can work for or against Match. On the one hand, you are attracting so many users, and on the other hand, you are attracting fake accounts and scheming people.
Fake accounts are everywhere, but it seems more prevalent here on Match.com than on other sites.
It has minimal features for free users; the ultimate question then is, with all the hassles, is it worth paying Match? If what they offer is enough for you, it is worthwhile to have it; you get your money’s worth.
But others offer the same, with similar success, at a lower price. The site may not be outdated, but it has stiff competition from its sister sites and others.